Tuesday, June 4, 2013

C4L Internship: Day One.

Hey, everyone! I know that many of you asked me to keep in touch and to let you know how my trip was going. I thought the easiest way to accomplish this was by starting a blog! For those of you who blog (or keep up with people who blog) I'm an amateur, so please bear with me. :) 

My first day in California was a day of orientation and fellowship. We interns woke up bright and early in order to be ready for pick up at 8:00 am. We then made the short drive from the Palm Garden Hotel in Thousand Oaks to the Joni & Friends International Disability Center in Agoura Hills. Upon arriving at the IDC, we received our training materials (books, itinerary, handbooks, etc.) and briefly discussed the schedule for the remainder of our internship. We then had the opportunity to tour the facility where we met some of the most interesting, compassionate people that I've encountered, including Joni Eareckson Tada herself. 

To conclude a morning of orientation, we had a yummy lunch and enjoyed an ice cream social with the JAF staff and fellow interns. Directly from the JAF IDC, we took a tour around Thousand Oaks so that we could see the many things that we are capable doing in our free time while here in California. We ate fro-yo (as if ice cream wasn't enough) and enjoyed one another's company under the gorgeous California sun for about an hour. The remainder of the day was spent eating (in my case, sushi) by the fire pit and playing fun "question" games which resulted in tons of laughter. The people that I am experiencing this with are truly beautiful inside and out. I consider it such a blessing to be among these people. Despite our backgrounds, home towns, and hobbies, we all share mutual love for God and for serving the disabled community. God has His hands all in this internship, and He is going to use us for mighty things. Thank you so much for your prayerful, financial, and moral support. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment