Thursday, June 27, 2013

Here In Haiti.


I'm here. This country that I've been imagining and praying about for months is finally my temporary home this week. I'm currently sitting with three other interns in the scorching heat of the living room (the power has been out for quite some time) and we are waiting for our first Haitian dinner. I had a bit of a rough start in Florida where I caught a cold and fever that hasn't broken yet, but I can hardly even think about complaining.

We were welcomed by Haitians playing festive music in the airport, and I couldn't help but smile as I looked out of the windows and saw the largest, most beautiful mountains that I've ever seen. As we walked out of the airport, a man threw our luggage into a "tap tab", and I assumed that would be the vehicle strictly for hauling our luggage, but soon learned that it would also be our transportation to the compound. A tap tab is a vehicle similar to a bus, but there are wooden benches along the inside, with no door on the back. You tell the driver where you want to go, pay him, and then hop in until you arrive at your destination where you will then bang on the metal, which lets the driver know that you need to stop.

Our stay is very nice in comparison to other living conditions in Haiti. We have an air conditioning unit (which is actually broken and serves as a small fan. Given that the electricity is on), and we were each welcomed to cute beds and two bathrooms with running, cold water for showers. The weather in Haiti is incredibly humid and hot. It's almost difficult to breathe. (I think we all learned that it's possible to sweat 24/7, and that ice cold showers are the only real relief.)

I love being in a place like this. A place where I can sit outside in the rain, thankful for a break from the heat. A place where I praise God for things that I might grumble about back home. I have not even been here in Haiti for twelve hours and I already realize how much I take for granted. Everything from dependable electricity and wireless internet, to the basics like free, clean water and a single meal.

I look forward to sharing personal stories and experiences. I just have a gut feeling that this is going to be life changing. Let's do this.

Luke 14:27
"Whoever does not bear his cross and come after me cannot be my disciple."

Blessings, Bailey





No comments:

Post a Comment