Thursday, June 27, 2013

June 20, 2013.

Let's just say we've had an interesting start to our trip. As Anna, my roommate, and I were napping before it was time to check out of our hotel, I received a text message from one of the interns informing me that not only will our 50+ pound bags of luggage need to be downsized to a maximum of 40 pounds, but also the bags of supplies would need to be downsized as well. Oh, and the shuttle would be arriving in half an hour to take us to the airport (we were initially told it would arrive much later). I woke up Anna and we frantically tried to get dressed, pack up all our things, throw out loads of toiletries that weren't absolutely essential, and help the other girls do the same. A little late, we managed to meet the shuttle with our bags weighing just under 40 pounds. What a relief that was.

When we checked in at the airport and arrived at our gate, we discovered that our flight to Florida was delayed by over three hours, and that would mean that we would miss our flight from Fort Lauderdale to Port Au Prince. After our leader, James, talked through our options with Spirit Airlines (I would not recommend, by the way), we figured the best solution would be to continue with our flight to Fort Lauderdale, stay for a day at a hotel, take a taxi to Miami the following morning, and catch one of the flights to Haiti from there. So here I am, writing this journal on the plane because even the melatonin I took can't help me get some sleep.

I am so thankful for every little obstacle that has been placed in front of us. God commands us to be joyful always and give thanks in all circumstances (1 Thess. 5:16-18), and our team has done exactly that. We have been praying for flexible hearts and minds and that we would be open to God's plan no matter the cost. I'm not entirely sure why God would allow us to lose a day of service in Haiti, but I am now more certain than ever that God has His hands in this trip and that He is going to do incredible things. The enemy's attempts at causing bitterness and discord among us has failed. For the first time in a long time, I feel unstoppable through the strength of Christ.

Blessings,
Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment